15 Questions You Should Know When Selecting a Home Contractor
Photo Courtesy of GDA Concepts Sdn Bhd
Selecting the right home contractor is an important key in your journey to realize your dream home. Asking contractor the right 15 questions below will help you choose the right contractor to renovate your new home.
Apart from that, it will also help you better understand important steps in the building process and the decision you need to make.
Photo Courtesy of SIN Design Studio
- Is your company registered and licensed? Make sure the company provides insurance to his workers as well in case of any accidents happened. - This will give you confidence that the company will not run away after accepting your deposit.
- What type of warranty do you offer for your services? - Believe it or not, after sales service is up most important for you and the contractor's reputation, you do not want your newly built cabinet to break down after one week of usage.
Photo Courtesy of Think Studio PLT
- How many years have you been in the business and what type of jobs you are confident of doing? - Key note is, getting the right person for the right job. You do not want your home wiring done by untrained personnel.
- Ask for reference and recently completed job. If possible conduct site visit of mentioned jobs. - Site visit of under progress job will give you an overall idea of the workmanship quality.
- Who is going to supervise the renovation of the job? - Supervised job leads to better quality control and on time schedule.
Photo Courtesy of Spazio Art
- Who is going to supply the materials? - If possible, you select and buy the materials needed which in return will save you cost. Discuss with your contractor and make sure materials are purchased on time to avoid job delay.
- How long does it takes for overall project time line? - Ask for break down of schedule such as cabinetry and general works schedule.
Photo Courtesy of Chimporchamp Design
- Can upgrades or changes be made during renovation? How would the budget and time impacted. - You might have second thought during renovation and may consider any upgrades or changes. Letting your contractor informed earlier to lessen the impact.
- How are the quotation being structured? - It is always best to ask for itemized quotations, this would reveal any overcharged items.
Photo Courtesy of Vault Design Lab
- How are payment being made? - Most renovation jobs offer progress payment, getting to know the schedule payment will get you prepared financially ahead.
- What's the process for inspection before handover? - Before you make your final payment, make sure you have a walk through inspection with your contractor for any matters to be corrected.
Photo Courtesy of Signature Kitchen
- How can I go about submitting my plan for authority approval before commencement of work? - Depends on nature of the job, some jobs require authority approval.
- Who is the contact person for my job? - Always ask for single person window contact, too many person leading a job will create confusion to both you and contractor.
Photo Courtersy of Neo Concept Interior Studio
- How many renovation jobs currently your company has? - Too many jobs at a time could lead to delay in schedule.
- Ask for contractor concerns regarding your renovation plan. - This will lead to feasibility of what your plan is and contractor may have some feedback about your plan or design.